Thursday 4 August 2011

Day 1 and of the challenge

Sorry I am logged in as Mark, but it's Nicky

Day 1

Today started well... we managed to leave the youth hostel at 3am as planned without setting off any alarms :)

We arrived at the foot of Ben Nevis at about 4:30pm, and started to climb at about 4:45am.

It was thick mist at first which left me feeling rather disorientated, but Mark and Fozzie seemed ok, in fact Fozzie was zooming. Thankfully the mist cleared on the way up for some fab views, even though the top was not clear. The whole climb took nearly 6hours, but we had been eating on the mountain, so when we came down we knew we could change and go.

The cycling started fantastically, glorious weather, legs felt good as the muscles were different and we were keeping a good pace without putting in much effort - amazing!!

Sadly our fortunes were about to change.....

After only 12 miles of cycling, disaster!! I had just had a drink (only water to be clear :D)and was putting my water bottle back, and then we think I clipped a small pot hole. I have been told I went head over the handle bars, all I know is that I rolled a lot on the road, while telling myself not to pass out.

I managed to just about stay with it enough to realise I was in a road and so started to try and bum shuffle to the side... it's rather blurry, but with the help of Mark and Fozzie, me, my bike, them and their bikes made it to the pavement.

I was in pain but felt ok... so onto the important things... how is the bike was a big concern!! I was shown my front wheel which had snapped! I also realised I had hit my head so got the guys to check my helmet to find that was also cracked in a few places.

Some lovely people stopped to help, one was cycling lejog, Mark and Foz were chatting to him, I then realised I was about to pass out, so had to interupt their conversation.

Thankfully I soon snapped out of it, and was making plans to continue by getting the guys to remove my broken wheel etc, and wondering where I could get a new helmet.... sadly Foz was wanting to call an ambulance which I said was not needed, but did want the support crew.

I soon realised I couldn't actually move my left arm/shoulder, I was thinking of options to numb the pain and ignore it, but the guys said I had to go to a and e :(

The support crew were great and took me to Fort William hospital. After rather a wait I was seen and had shoulder x-rayed. Thankfully it wasn't dislocated, and no broken bones which was amazing but they said I had popped my ac joint (i think that was the one) and so the tendons etc were snapped and the Dr said biking was a no :(( The nurse showed me the x-ray later as I wanted to see what was wrong and know I couldn't carry on.

By 3pm we were done at the hospital, but I was now truck bound, but at least I felt I could support the guys as I didn't want to go home.

Mark and Foz had got back on the bikes and were now really zooming to make up for lost time. They were really amazing, I spoke to them over the phone while they had lunch to let them know I was ok, and would now be telling them off if they didn't pedal fast enough. Still that wasn't needed as they were going for it! They did so well and even with the problems of the day. They completed the days cycling by 9:30pm, and we all went for dinner at the hotel.

Thanks so much for your prayers, even though I was in quite a lot of pain at the end of the day, I was able to sleep well.

Huge thanks to Sarah who is really looking after me, helping me get dressed, putting my shoes on cutting my food etc. I do feel like a small child, but so greatful for the help!! Thanks also to Jon and Hazel, you are all stars!

Day 2 blog will be up later... typing one handed is a bit slow

Nicky xx

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Nicky. So sorry for you but you are amazing. Well done Mark and Foz too for helping Nicky see sense! Love to you all from Sussex. Chris & Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Nicky. After everything you've been through you still found the energy to write the blog and really pleased to hear you slept well. That will make such a difference - as will having a top quality support crew! What a team you are. When my children were younger I always gave them an 'injury sweet' for being brave after an injury. I think you deserve 2 - at least!!! Keep going everyone xxx

    ReplyDelete